Wednesday, January 20, 2010

First time.

We spent the night in Charlotte instead of driving through to Atlanta. We wanted to have a full day at the Atlanta truckstop, and besides, we were tired and had a place to stay here.

It was interesting, my first time filming at a truckstop, to notice the similarities between looking for interviews and looking for rides. There was a lot of waiting. As it turns out, it was actually easier getting interviews as compared to getting rides. People seem compelled to talk while they're in front of the camera, and I suppose that most of us don't really understand how the seemingly insignificant things that we say can be steeped in significance when put into the right context in the editing room.

On a personal note, Alex and I seem to be meshing in our styles quite well. I'm starting to get a sense and a greater appreciation for the subtleties of framing and filming. Each time I review the footage that Alex has shot, I get a greater appreciation for his work, and each time I chide him for not handing me a receipt, or each time I score a sweet interview, and get a great line from a subject, he thinks to tell me how happy he is that I'm on board. We're really doing good work together and I'm learning a lot about what it takes to make a film. Essentially, strange as it may seem, all of our work is meaningless unless it ends up on a couple of cents worth of magnetic tape.

Peace and Love,
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment